One of the many glass plate collections which have been digitised by RCAHMS is that of Francis Caird Inglis & Son. An Edinburgh firm of that spanned three generations of professional photographers.
Alexander Adam Inglis acquired the Rock House studio at Calton Hill in 1876. This was Hill and Adamson’s original studio, and the company would remain there until 1949 holding a Royal Warrant from 1907.
Subjects vary with professional portraits, commercial interiors, street scenes and architectural surveys. It includes a large survey of the Scottish National War Memorial at Edinburgh Castle during construction.
Our collection consists of over 1500 photographs the majority 10×12 glass plates, which until recently were stored in their original wooden crates.
All images are copyright of RCAHMS.
For more info go to www.rcahms.gov.uk